Friday, July 10, 2009

Life Encompassing Cocoons

I have been born and brought up in this city. It became so much a part of me and my system that I failed to realize and discover it as a separate entity. and then one day, just out of my routine life, something inside me kicked real hard and I woke up to a new world altogether. The surprising part is that everything was the same- the buildings, the lanes, the furniture, the people but suddenly all of it had taken a new meaning. It all became real. The background I had been living with all my life came to the foreground, and this perspective gave a new meaning to my life. It was such an amazing feeling... like a small budding leaf realising that there is this big, huge tree it is a part of. Not only did I start to live my life with a new gust but also of everybody around me.

I stayed like this for a while and throughout there was an effort on my part to awaken others too, to this truth... that we all are on the same continuum... and we are just a part of the process. However, not so soon I realised that people are just not bothered. It doesn't matter to them. They are very comfortable and at ease with leading a life of passive existence, in cocoons they have unknowingly built around themselves. The cocoons that act as barriers to the truth. Living in an illusion that the world begins and ends within that small little chamber. We, me n them, share the same environment, and ironically it was I who was labeled unrealistic, a romantic.

I fought all this for till I realised all my efforts were in vain. And gradually I too built a cocoon around myself, limiting and defining my world with a boundary. The very boundary I had defied had refused to accept. Deep inside I did feel guilty at times, I felt I was cheating myself, like the rest. But then I realised that it’s not myself but them I am cheating, depriving them of the reality I hide within, because they don’t deserve to know.


At the end of the day I too am in a cocoon, you may say, but honey here is life breathing within... unlike the rest.

No comments: